The fall weather is finally here and we want to help you prepare your home and property for the cooler weather. These simple steps can help avoid potential problems before they arise.
- Have your heating system cleaned and inspected by a qualified technician.
- Insulate any water pipes in areas exposed to freezing temperatures.
- Clean gutters and downspouts to keep debris from accumulating. This is especially important during the fall season when mosquitoes are very active. Water accumulates in gutters and mosquitoes only need as much water as a bottle cap to lay eggs.
- Yard clean up. It is important to continue to clean your yard and keep it free of any standing water. Mosquitoes lay their eggs in and around standing water. Common places include: vases, children’s toys, open containers, rain barrels, garbage cans, discarded tires, and flowerpot saucers.
- Keep lawns mowed and remove debris piles to avoid ticks.
- Check for drafts. Your home will stay warmer, you will save energy, and lower your heating bills! Examine windows and doors for cracks and seal them to prevent any drafts.
- Check for any cracks in and around your home especially if you have older windows. Seal them to prevent stink bugs and crickets from entering your home. This is the time of year when they will start making their way into a warmer environment. Now is a good time to schedule a spray (link to our page) with us to avoid them from entering your home.
- Have your chimney cleaned and maintained by a professional.
- Now is a good time to schedule your winter shut off on your sprinkler system. It is important to have this service done before first frost, you do not want the water to freeze, it can damage your sprinkler system.
- Late fall is the best time to prune plants and trees. Keep limbs and branches at least 3 feet from your home so moisture won’t leak onto roofing and siding, and to prevent damage to your house exterior during high winds and storms.
- Now is also a good time to inspect your smoke detectors.
Contact us today if you have any further questions or need assistance. You can reach us via email at email@example.com, on our Facebook page, or by giving us a call directly at 973-435-0747. We wish you a very happy and safe fall season!